View Single Post
Old 02-14-2018, 04:33 PM   #4
trechriron

Default Re: Avoiding Intollerance in a Post-BioEngineering Setting

I feel like some general social engineering would be in order. I agree with the above poster. An unknown species genetically altering people without permission is terrifying. Why is everyone OK with this?

Some ideas;

1) The colony could prevent any further influence by the unknown species, paint the affected as victims and cast some aspersions on the "interlopers". Common enemies can quickly tie different people together. Government propaganda could showcase the altered people as pitiable, safe and a beneficial asset to the colony. Mustering defenses and mechanisms of preventing future contact would serve as unifying activities.

2) A simple "This is our last world! Let us build a bright future. Together!" meme would do well. Everyone has a common problem. The old world is no longer an option to retreat to. Either we all make it here, or collapse under internecine fighting and tribalism. Early education, propaganda, marketing and media can all support this meme across all demographic categories.

3) Crime and Punishment. Harsh punishments against "those who would endanger the future and prosperity of the colony" could help enforce the meme. Maybe exile in a rocket to the depths of space. "Don't want to make it here with us? Fine. Make it out there. Alone."
My Blog

Last edited by trechriron; 02-14-2018 at 04:40 PM.
trechriron is offline   Reply With Quote