View Single Post
Old 12-29-2017, 06:43 AM   #6
Henchman99942

Default Re: Traveller Stateroom Space Question

I am using ISW which has a bunkroom listed as having 10 occupants, displacing 2 spaces (dtons or dʌ), massing 0.5 tons (again, I am using metric tons) and costing 0.01 Mcr. GT:Starships lists a bunkroom (at TL10) as displacing 4 spaces, massing 4.80 s-tons, costing 0.018 MCr and using 0.16 MWs.

I get that the stats listed for staterooms include extra space allocated for recreation areas, lounges, hallways, etc... As for life-support, I am using the 0.5 meter space between the 2.5 m ceiling and the 3m height for a standard '1.5 m square' of deck plan for such systems. And for a stateroom's deckplan footprint, I am using 1/2 that listed space.

Note: A space (dton or dʌ) is two deckplan squares, which amounts to 1.5 m long x 1.5 m wide x 3 m tall. I am using 13.5 cubic meters rather than GURPS's 500 cubic feet. But it amounts to the same basic system.

But... Something like bunkrooms are already fairly tight quarters... I cannot see, and personally will not use, the same 50% rule for them. If I am making a ship that is all bunkrooms and no staterooms, I will permit the ceiling space to contain enough life support for them, but they will take up the entire listed volume in terms of their deckplan footprint. Additionally, If the ratio of people to volume of living quarters exceeds a certain number, then additional living spaces must be added using the stats for stateroom (or half staterooms) to allow for people to be able to move around. Standard staterooms have an occupants to volume ratio of 1:2 (2 people per 4 dʌ). I am fine with this being reduced to 1:1, but beyond that, you are literally tripping over each other. A crew may put up with it (or a bunch of refugees who would be dead otherwise) but not ordinary paying customers. The only modern equivalent I can think of are cruise ships, but I cannot find anything that focuses on living space specifically (only total ship tonnage).

GT:Starships says: Some ships also have much more room than others...
room your vessel has for the crew... Divide total number of dtons devoted to a crew's comfort (staterooms, bunkrooms, recreational facilities) by the total crew not in low berths. Spartan (2.00 to 2.25 dʌ /person). Average (2.26 to 3.00). Above average (3.01 to 4.00). Luxurious (4.01+) Anything below 2.00 dʌ /person is considered cramped and will result in a -1 penalty to all shipboard operations.

I did manage to visually construct a standard bunkroom and squeeze 10 bunks into it, and even have room for a very compact water closet, but nothing else. I cannot accept that 10 people can make use of HALF of the listed space - unless that HALF is the central walkway people use to get to their bunks.

On a side note, the ship I have been designing is finished. I am happy with the design, performance and deckplans. The 'Ossaduo' is a TL10, 200 dton (dʌ) Explorer Class Merchant Trader. It is a Vargr ship of standard design using an Airframe and boasting an (almost) 100 dʌ cargobay.
Henchman99942 is offline   Reply With Quote