View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 06:08 PM   #169
whswhs

Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
By 2016 We Can will have 69 seats in the Senate.
Unless their increasing power results in a lot of people suddenly setting aside established differences to work against them.

It seems to me you have described at least three different processes for gaining power. One is electoral: get enough people into office, very quickly, to vote for radical changes in law, including various constitutional amendments, which will have to be passed by state governments as well as federal. One is a coup: murder Supreme Court justices and other inconvenient people. (If you are doing that, the electoral part seems redundant.) One is an ultra-tech mind control approach: reprogram everyone to do what you want. (If you are doing that, the coup and the electoral approach both seem redundant.)

On one hand, you respond to discussions of why the less drastic method won't work by talking of turning to the more drastic method. But on the other hand, the more drastic method seems to require a number of years of operating with a freedom that is not currently possible, whether to create radical new neurological tech, or to build an army more powerful than the US armed forces, BEFORE you can use those methods; and the less drastic method does not seem likely to gain you enough freedom of maneuver to do either of those things.

And in any case, a scheme that relies on all three of unprecedented political success, violent seizure of power, and invention of radical new technology being successful is overcomplicated and seems almost certain to fail.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.