View Single Post
Old 02-21-2017, 11:16 AM   #57
weby

Default Re: Some anti-materiel rifles I'm considering for the guards on Jewell Island

On the rifles:

Personal favorite:
The Sako TRG-42 in .338 LM is my personal all time favorite rifle by far. I have shot a lot of different rifles over the years, but this rifle is just a beauty. I do not think there is an "economy" model, at least I have not heard of it. The only real variations I have heard about are the two barrel lengths. I think most of the price differences come from the accessories like the muzzle brake, accessory rails and folding stock(I hear this is a pretty expensive option).

Basically I shot a friend's short barrel version few times and could immediately shoot better with it than with any rifle before, So not many months later I bought my own long barrel version and it has been my favorite since..

As for the actual question:
I cannot give any specifics of the other rifles as the only other rifle on your list I have shot is a Remington 700, but it was in .308

I view cheap .50 BMG rifles with some suspicion, mostly due to the fairly high recoil that even standard .50 rifles have. I am not a small person but unlike smaller rifles where on a good shot you do not even consciously feel the recoil I have always been at least a bit annoyed by the .50 BMG recoil even on good rifles. Not that I have shot all that many rounds all together so it might be different with more experience at such.

Overall the big differences between cheap and normal good quality rifles is that cheap rifles tend to be flimsier design and much more variable in manufacturing quality. So overall they tend to be less reliable and more uncomfortable to shoot.

If you want to hit things at long range you kind of "must" buy a quality rifle and the accessories(a bipod, a quality scope and so on).