View Single Post
Old 02-01-2019, 08:51 PM   #5
Michael Thayne

Default Re: [Spaceships] Fixing ballistic weapons in tactical combat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Number 1 and 2 are both nonsensical.

Point 1 is not a problem in the tactical rules, it's a simplification in the basic rules - the 'hard' range limit is representative of how far away the weapon is effectively capable of generating hits. For guns, this is totally fine (though the numbers in principle should be more context-dependent), though it's a big problem for missiles that are capable of throttling (and re-igniting) their propulsion for a boost-drift-attack flight plan.

Point 2 is a bit of a rules hash, but your 'fix' is not technologically justifiable. That kind of guidance system is relatively obsolescent for planetside missiles that engage targets faster than tanks. And space ranges make it much, much worse. Space missiles can't make effective terminal maneuvers without on-board homing. On the other side of things they almost certainly have the guidance capability for off-bore firing, because the range also means that the missile's on-board sensors likely won't be satisfactory for the initial stages of the flight.

My recommendations: don't try to fix 1, it's fine. For 2, don't use turrets with conventional missiles, only fixed tubes. Modern ships can have VLS, spaceships not being able to would be weird. Your call whether to let them have the +2.
I'll take your advice on point 2 (argh, this means I have to decide if the +2 applies or not...) But I'm not willing to let go on point 1 as applied to shells, there are clear logical issues involving just how much delta-V these shells are supposed to have (as I noted above). And applied to missiles, it results in missiles that are vastly more effective in the tactical combat system, compared to the basic system. But maybe a more logical fix would be saying missile engines can't be shut down, or can't be restarted after shutdown, or at the very least have a limited amount of time they can drift?

Quote:
There's points where I consider Spaceships rules to be catastrophically broken or literally impossible to follow. But it's probably not productive to drag things there.
If they're tactical-combat specific, I'd be very curious about them and consider them totally on-topic.
Michael Thayne is online now   Reply With Quote