View Single Post
Old 03-08-2018, 07:41 PM   #4
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Tv action violence in a fantasy low tech setting??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupbearer View Post
You really think the cost of points to use this is so significant? I mean when youre in it and it means you get stabbed or not wot you always choose not ta take the damage?
If it's damage I think I can take? Sure, I'd rather take that than lose an FP and my next turn. Like, if it's going to be only 2 or 3 HP, that's the penalty I'd take on any actions, but even if my skill isn't high enough to deal with that, or I don't have something to outright negate it like High Pain Threshold, I can still choose to take an All-Out Defense or something, which keeps my tactical options open much more than losing my turn entirely.

Basically, if an attack isn't likely to hit one of the critical thresholds for combat (doing more than half my HP and thus a major wound, bringing me down to 1/3rd HP or lower for half Move and Dodge, below 0 HP for unconsciousness checks, or below any -HP breakpoint for a death check), I would really prefer to have the option to do something on the next turn. Losing an entire turn is actually pretty bad in GURPS combat, at least if you're at all outnumbered or out-tacticed. Losing that turn can, quite often, set you up for worse hurt than just taking the hit would have.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote