View Single Post
Old 01-16-2018, 12:31 PM   #10
JLV

Default Re: TFT - Game Accessories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
All I can say now is that those are not invalid ideas. If someone specializing in battlemats wanted to do a megahex map, I'd listen. OTOH, if you are into making and painting big miniatures, creating a specific base is probably not much of a challenge. Laser cutter if you want to machine it, Sculpey if you want to sculpt it, probably lots of other options depending on what you work with.
But, thinking in terms of Cardboard Heroes, such bases would be a wonderful addition...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Now that's an interesting point. Are the megahexes really useful, or do they just make the maps nonstandard?
Personally, I find them extremely useful for what I assume their intended purpose was -- figuring missile weapon range effects. I also find them useful for mapping, believe it or not, feeling that a 10' square is pretty close to a megahex, and a 5' square is pretty close to a single hex (not as close, but still a useful guide). In short, I'd hate to see them go away.

(Slightly off-topic, but still at least tangential...) Finally, didn't someone do a "conversion" thing where they showed how to convert megahexes into squares at one time? That might be a very useful tool for helping convert mapping into grid paper for buildings and the like, while simultaneously retaining the advantages of hexes for combat and range calculations. (I can't find it in my files right now, but I distinctly remember the author dealing with odd room shapes, corridors, T-intersections, and so on.) And hexes are enormously important to TFT's tactical combat simulation -- without them it not only wouldn't be the same, it also wouldn't work nearly as well.

Last edited by JLV; 01-16-2018 at 12:35 PM.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote