View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 05:58 AM   #1
Anders

Default KYOS - getting rid of thrust and swing damage

With the alternative ST system presented in Pyramid 3/83, trust is always equal to swing-2. So why not get rid of the distinction entirely? Does it interact with any other rules?

Instead, each attack mode of a weapon shifts the character's strength up or down the damage table. For esthetic reasons I suggest fixing the damage at 1d for a ST 10 character. Each +1 to ST gives +1 to damage, with the progression nd-1, nd, nd+1, nd+2, (n+1)d-1, etc.

The only other rule I can think of where the distinction between swinging and thrusting damage matters is the Get Stuck rule. Now, I find this rule a little strange, because it shouldn't matter whether the weapon is swung or thrust. I suggest the rule be amended thusly:
Any impaling damage that crosses a certain threshold - say HP/2 - risks getting stuck, as per the rule on p. B405. Does that make spears worhtless? Or maybe just say that certain damage modes risk getting stuck.

Thoughts?