View Single Post
Old 11-29-2015, 06:49 PM   #18
starslayer

Default Re: Running both Vanilla Magic and RPM?

Going to largely agree with Kal here.

You carry your grimore with you (say, in the trunk of your car in a modern game, or in your wagon if fantasy), if your a full ritual adept you can cast your buffs 'in the field' (or still in your rituals space with several week durations).

You keep a few enemy debuffs in your charm slots, and I like to keep a couple 'lesser sense life, lesser strengthen chance' hanging rituals on most of my characters for a 'save me from that lethal hit' magic; but for the most part charms are for your 'what I will do in a combat round' abilities go. Your already delivering your most substantial benefit in terms of your buffs in advance, all the PCs are (if your being friendly) already walking around with +3 to dodge, +2 to defend, +4 to to hit with a specific weapon, with a duration long enough for the endeavour at hand (heck you probably insisted on doing this in your ritual space so that they could all sacrifice in to the rituals and then get healed back up before you headed out). So that leaves healing rituals, defense rituals (IT Diffuse, and regeneration along ATR-1 and Sessill as an alternate form is useful if situational specific) and damaging rituals to finish filling out your charm slots. Unless your combats tend to be long slogs you don't need more then 6 stocked healing rituals, so the rest become damaging rituals from a depleting 'ammo' stock.

I did make one mage character who got around that problem by having a ritual that strengthened his clothes to well exceed plate, strengthened his boots to move him around the battlefield with extreme haste, and strengthened his staff to well exceed a force sword in damage- so he just carried three copies of each of those spells (and that was really in excess; just for fear of dispelling) and had all his other charms free for other stuff; which I largely turned into 'more copies of those buffing spells that almost never need to be recast' and 'more copies of enemy debuff spells'.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote