View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 02:40 PM   #27
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)
Default Re: Pyramid #3/44: Alternate GURPS II

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
The 1:4 to 1:6 range seems to work for abilities that can be used in the "a few times per day, possibly in combat" range. If you want something that is usually only used once or twice per day, you'll want something closer to 10 AP.

Just remember that the thing about AP is that someone with HT 10 will have a 90% chance of recovering an AP every second using Do Nothing maneuvers. So you can, by resting for 11 seconds, pretty much guarantee that you're fresh up.

This impacts Combat abilities far more than non-combat ones. If you have to cast several spells in lethal combat in a row, you're going to be TIRED (since you'll drain your AP, and start burning FP or destiny points to keep going).

For buffing spells and stuff you can do outside of combat, you almost NEED the "punishingly high" level of AP expenditure to slow down the rate at which you can do things.

So AP costs low enough to allow an adventurer to rap out several uses within a single combat engagement are crazy low if used in non-combat time.

This might say that, for example, you can EITHER spend 10 AP to power (say) a fireball spell for 1d, or 1 FP to power it for 10d Explosive! (or something like that). So if you choose to take the "yeah, I can do this over and over, with 10 sec between each one" route, you get a reliable, steady, low-level effect. If you do something that takes 2 hours to recover, you scorch the battlefield.
The thing is, a spell can easily cost 5+ FP. That's once per hour (though with Recover Energy 20, you recover 5 FP in 10 minutes). However, 5+ FP under a 1 FP->10 APs exchange rate results in a 50 AP cost, that back converts to 9 FP for an HT 10 individual. Mind you, a 5 FP cost spell isn't a particularly strong one (you need to go to 8-10 FP ones for that).
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote