View Single Post
Old 05-03-2015, 11:39 AM   #6
weby

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Expert Skill

I find most of the expert skills not really likely unless you are a pure researcher and even then I find in many situations that the actual skills are more likely to be used. Though having some of them as dabbler might make sense to have "areas of interest" that you have read about but not actually studied.

The ones used in my games have been:
Computer Security-I find myself at bit two thought about this, though it is indeed a very valid skill set, but since I find that most people in real life who have this skill also have the skills to patch. Thus a skill that includes both would seem more proper instead of forcing people to buy two skills for computer security.
Conspiracy Theory: I do find this kind of silly...
Epidemiology: I find this iffy in most characters, it is a very tiny niche and I would think in most situations the people doing this would more likely use the actual skills as they tend to be doctors, Though It is indeed a very specialized academic field of study.
Military Science:This one I have no problems with as there are so many people who can answer silly things like "what is the range of the 105mm m102 howitzer" without having any clue of actually how to fire one. But again I would make the professional instead have the real skills.
Political Science:Same as the others basically. Some academic might have this, but for any in game roll you would be much better off with the real skills.
weby is offline   Reply With Quote