View Single Post
Old 03-22-2020, 08:14 PM   #1
thom

Default Feudal Rank/Status and Cost of Living

For my upcoming fantasy game I've decided to go the route of including status and all it's niceties into Feudal Rank at 10 points/level. I also plan to use the "Cost of Living" rules which means that yes - the vast majority of the world (including the starting PCs) are technically considered as Feudal Rank 0 (Status 0) "yeomen/peasants" whose monthly Cost of Living (Col) will be $600. I'm OK with that.

What I'm working on is the Cost of Living for the various Feudal ranks, and I want to make sure I understand the "included Status at no extra cost" effect of higher ranks. Per B29 ranks 2 - 4 give +1 status, and ranks 5 -7 give +2 to to status. I'm thinking this means the following:

Feudal Rank 0 = $600/month Col
Feudal Rank 1 = $1,200/month Col
Feudal Rank 2 = $1,200/month Col (and not $3,000/month because of the +1 status effect)
Feudal Rank 3 = $3,000/month (instead of $12,000/month for the same reason)
Feudal Rank 4 = $12,000/month (instead of $60,000/month ditto)

Feudal Rank 5 = $12,000/month??
Here's where it gets tricky; since rank 5 gives +2 status, do I use the 5 - 2 = status 3 and so only charge $12,000/month instead of $600,000 for status 5?

I know both Bill Stoddard and Kromm have stated that the organization (in this case the feudal state) pays for the difference in lifestyle benefits when rank provides the extra status benefits. I just want to double-check that my numbers are correct. Thanks for any input!

thom
thom is offline   Reply With Quote