View Single Post
Old 10-17-2017, 01:36 PM   #8
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: [Low Tech] TL4 Rifles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
training is everything.

I'm not saying that the musket troops weren't trained. I'm saying they were trained in different skills. Like how to reload quickly to increase the rate of fire, and how to use the bayonet. At close range, riffle troops will be crushed by the rate of fire or a bayonet charge.
Training is a lot, but doctrine is a thing too.

Rifle troops tasked as sharpshooters would pick individual targets, and aim as well as their equipment allowed before firing, because that's how sharpshooting works.

Line infantry with smoothbores were at least sometimes trained not to pick individual targets at all, let alone carefully aim at them, since their purpose as shooters could be characterized as being a low-tech training and loading mechanism in a huge multibarrel weapon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
While +1 Acc doesn't sound like a lot, the extra +1 to hit translates to a 50% increase in the range at which you can effectively hit a target (whatever the definition of "effective" might be). See the Speed/Range table, and notice what happens to the "Linear Measurement" when you move up one line. That would be a pretty noticeable effect for the soldiers on a battlefield.
Yeah, but depending where 'effective' is being defined, shooting without that +1 may not be that big a drop in effectiveness.

Shooting at an 11 instead of a 12 or even a 9 instead of a 10 isn't a hopeless exercise, especially if you've numbers on your side.