View Single Post
Old 07-22-2016, 01:23 PM   #13
Icelander

Default Re: Jason Bourne combat skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
I'm... not convinced. In fact, I've not really been convinced that Extra Attack is ever worthwhile or the sort of thing we often see in film.

First, you need to use extra attack with a second body part. You can't use the same body part twice without multistrike. Second, it's 25 points, while +6 to skill is 24 points, and will allow you to attack twice (rapid strike is -6), or make a -6 deceptive attack or attack a difficult hit location.

If you do have Extra Attack, it makes sense to use it all the time, otherwise it's a waste of points. It's also more worthwhile if you have multiple skills that you use, but for my money, I'd rather have Trained by a Master (which is only 5 points more expensive), as it gives access to cinematic skills and reduces rapid strike to -3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandley View Post
I think you answer why Jason Bourne would have it right here. He very frequently transitions between striking and grappling, and does it very quickly. Extra attack lets you do that, where +6 to a striking skill (or grappling skill) does not.
Consider that Jason Bourne constantly uses Judo, Karate and Wrestling skills, very often uses Knife/Main-Gauche or Shortsword/Smallsword and sometimes uses improvised weapons with such skills as Axe/Mace, Flail, Kusari, Staff, Two-Handed Axe/Mace and Two-Handed Flail. Buying many or all of these skills up by 3 or 6 levels is considerably more expensive than taking Extra Attack.

I'd allow a strike and a grapple to count as 'different weapons' for the purposes of Extra Attack. Even though you are using the part of the body that made the first attack to assist in the next, that would be no less true for a kick followed by a full-power punch (footwork is part of all full power attacks), which is canonically legal under unmodified Extra Attack.

Last edited by Icelander; 07-22-2016 at 01:30 PM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote