View Single Post
Old 06-19-2015, 10:08 AM   #12
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Spaceships vs Bioships (BIO98)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Is it really the case that nobody tried building bioships using the rules in Bio-Tech p.98? I was particularly interested in settings where such a ship-growing coexists with Spaceships-spaceship building methods (and yes, I know that Spaceships has biological options for ships, but said option is something between 'meh' and 'cosmetic, at a cost of eating lots of food' in SS).
BIO98 isn't really a creation system as much as it is a brain storm aid. It serves to give ideas for GM's and details the likely weaknesses and strengths of bioships, as well as common (in literature) variations. The only 'system' I can see is a rough character point to price ratio -- something I've always shied away from for various reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
It seems really like an either or situation. I can't imagine any settings where they would play well together.
Metal beats flesh in the real world, so coming up with reasons why it isn't so one sided would probably come off very artificial and clunky, no pun intended, for once.
Much of Biotech is written from the perspective that flesh can beat metal in the right circumstances -- mostly due to being able to reproduce. Useful Bioships are cheaper than mechanical ships, and can require less of a tech base to maintain.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote