View Single Post
Old 02-23-2020, 08:31 AM   #4
malloyd

Default Re: Advice on equipment for a new GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clu2415 View Post
Is a breastplate and helmet workable to start out?
On the whole I'd say you are better off with mediocre armor everywhere than with good armor in some locations and none in others, because opponents will aim for the uncovered spots, and damage anywhere can be disabling. Indeed in some ways the torso is the area where an injury is least likely to be disabling. Do get a shield (and shield skill) for any character that makes sense for though.

Quote:
Also, I can’t find prices for beasts of burden, carts and wagons in my DF starter set. Where would you go for that? Basic Set? (I know my wife will want a poooony.)
Discourage her. What are you going to do with it while you are in the dungeon? Even if it will fit, bringing it along pretty much guarantees it will die. Leaving it unattended outside the dungeon, which isn't a safe neighborhood, means it dies or vanishes. Leaving a guard outside the dungeon with it, well it still isn't a safe neighborhood, and a guard strong enough to protect it would be better brought along to protect *you*, not to mention the problem of finding guards you can trust not to run away with your horses themselves.

Honestly anywhere monsters that can challenge PCs are an issue, horses are a liability. The only reason people in DF worlds travel with them at all is the genre conventions that maintain the fantastic middle ages scenery despite it not making any sense in a world like this.