View Single Post
Old 03-08-2020, 06:59 PM   #46
tbone

Default Re: GURPS On Demand: Your Experiences

Report from my first GURPS On Demand experience (technically DFRPG On Demand):

I ordered Magic Items 2 from Amazon Japan, mostly to settle my curiosity over what would arrive. I expected it would be more or less the same B&W printing as Companion. What arrived the next day was a surprise: full color, on glossy paper similar to all the other DFRPG books (save for Companion).

It's not quite the same, actually. The binding looks the same as Companion. But for the publishing nerds out there, I'll note that close scrutiny reveals a print quality below the SJG-published books (on the covers and pages), with a bit less gloss to the pages as well. And although individual pages don't feel substantially thicker, the book's 52 pages (48-page count, plus four blank pages) are about a millimeter thicker than the same number of pages in Monsters 2 (ignoring covers for both).

At a glance, though, it looks indistinguishable from other DFRPG books, and fits right in.

Not much else to note. Other than this trivia: It arrived on a rainy day, and the Amazon box was notably wet on bottom. Bad move on the part of Yamato (delivery company). Fortunately, Amazon shrink-wraps everything inside. Unfortunately, not without some openings in the shrink wrap. But nothing seemed to have gotten wet . . . yet, the book has a wee bit of that warpage you associate with moisture. Was that inherent in the printing? Or did it occur in delivery? No idea.

But it's really minor, and no problem; I'm there for the content, not book collection. The TL; DR summary: I was pleasantly surprised to get an Amazon GOD book that matches the DFRPG in color and general feel. Which makes it more likely I'll order GOD Companion 2 as well. (Still looking forward to the PDF on that one!)

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote