View Single Post
Old 02-24-2020, 05:49 AM   #268
TGLS

Default Re: [Psionics] [Space] Psi Trek - Worldbuilding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
TGLS pointed out that the Gormelites and the Nausicaans fit the same narrative niche, so I'm wondering if they should both be in this setting, or only one of them. If both, some work is needed to distinguish them, like the Gormelites maybe still being stuck on their own planet, and/or perhaps being a subject race of the Kzin, or a 'client' race of the Orions or Kaa. What do you think?
Well, if your going to have three (surely there will be Klingons) big mean tough guy (BMTG) races, then your going to need to niche them out. In Trek off the top of my head, we have:

1) Klingons, Imperial BMTGs
2) Naussicans, Freelance BMTGs
3) Jem'Hadar, Janisarry BMTGs
4) Kazon, Squabbling BMTGs
5) Hirogen, Hunting BMTGs

Keep in mind 4 and 5 are isolated relative to the rest and can get away with stepping on their toes. Copying one of the others niches is certainly doable. Other niches:

Primitive BMTGs
Ex-Slave BMTGs
Ultraviolent BMTGs
Ritualistic BMTGs
Bipolar (as in switches from Docility to Aggression unpredictably) BMTGs

Obviously, most of these have some overlap. Primitive and Socially Unstable niches make sense together, along with Freelance type. Klingons mix/trade Imperial with/for Ritualistic.If the niches overlap, I think the trick is to ensure that the niches can share some room. For example, if Naussicans are Freelance BMTGs and Gormelites are Ultraviolent BMTGs, then Gormelite Mercs are used as shock troops. Of course, it would be probably better to make a cleaner split.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote