View Single Post
Old 02-22-2020, 11:16 PM   #17
Kallatari

Default Re: A 10-pack of DFRPG questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
DF Adventurers page 118

"[2] Defense Bonus adds to that of any mundane shield. If both shield and armor have Deflect, only the highest magical DB applies. See Defense Bonus (Exploits, p. 47)."

Defense Bonus is useless without a shield. The reason for applying the enchantment to your armor and not on the shield is because it would then work with any shield you wield. It is useful on the shield since that means you don't have to wear the full suit of armor to benefit from the enchantment, and since the enchantment is only beneficial if you are using a shield it makes sense. Applying the enchantment to both is ideal if you got the money to spend, it means, as long as you have a shield, that you will always benefit from it.
That's not how I interpret it. To me, the first line is saying that the Deflect DB is cumulative with (i.e., "adds to") the DB of a shield. The description of Defense Bonus on p.47 of Exploits seems to confirms this:
"Magic can provide a DB, too. Only the best magical DB applies – such bonuses don’t “stack.” But a fighter can claim a shield’s basic, nonmagical DB as well."
The can claim a shield's DB, to me, means he doesn't have to, therefore a shield isn't needed to receive the magical bonus.

As to why Deflect is such a better deal that Defending Weapon, I have no idea.
Kallatari is online now   Reply With Quote