View Single Post
Old 01-18-2018, 01:58 PM   #1
PK

Default Pyramid #3/111: Combat II

I need therapy?
Because I like crushing heads?
This is therapy.
— Rav Gel, Gladiatorial Champion
Before RPGs added all of that touchy-feely "roleplaying" stuff, they were war games -- skirmish-level battles between squads. And while that bit has been superseded by far more sophisticated and broad-reaching rule sets, the core is still there. Is there much difference between squad-level skirmishes and a typical party taking down a group of pirates? If you're going to be kicking butt, you want to be properly armed with the latest innovations, and that's Pyramid #3/111: Combat II.
  • Some settings consider high-tech weapons diametrically opposed to magic, but there are plenty of real-world examples of mystical abilities attributed to The Witched Gun. S.A. Fisher and C.R. Rice tag-team this one, looking at the supernatural beliefs involving firearms and how you can make those a reality in your own campaigns.

• Grapplers sometimes get the short shrift in RPGs, with rules thrown in at the last minute as an afterthought. But both GURPS and the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game make it possible (if a bit challenging) to shine as The Wrestler in a fantasy game. This ready-to-use 250-point template includes new traits, plenty of advice, and a sample character.

• Wouldn't Car Wars be even more fun if it was an Astroduel! with spaceships zipping around in three dimensions? In this months' Eidetic Memory, David Pulver answers that question ("Uh, yes, obviously!") with a full setting designed from the ground up to facilitate this sort of thing -- along with four new ships and new rules for encounters and mini-missiles.

• We like to think of martial arts as being something refined and skilled, but any zoologist will tell you that Animal Combat Styles are a thing, too. Rory Fansler proposes six new GURPS Martial Arts styles, with 10 new techniques, to reflect the diverse way that various types of animals attack their prey or avoid their predators.

• Of course, the reason we run the planet and animals don't is our technology, and Creepy Charly is your best source for cutting-edge firearms and similar boom-boom gear. J. Edward Tremlett presents a very special gun-running contact who's more than he seems, with multiple variations to fit a wide range of games. I'd say more, but spoilers!

• And you just got punched by our Random Thought Table, which thinks that fair, carefully balanced fights are overrated.

Store Link: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/SJG37-2711
Preview PDF: http://www.warehouse23.com/media/SJG37-2711_preview.pdf

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote