View Single Post
Old 02-01-2019, 04:37 AM   #156
Icelander

Default Swashbuckling Heroes from Media Popular in South America

Does anyone know which of the 80s and 90s Saturday morning cartoons were popular in South America (Chile, in particular)? You know, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, ThunderCats, Gargoyles, etc.

Or if there were local versions?

I'm looking for fictional characters who could be an inspiration for swashbuckling heroes in a world with a weird mix of technology and magic. Specifically, I want Sky Pirates, but any conspiciously macho, swordfighting, bodice-ripping swashbuckler might do, particularly if he is the sort to inspire swooning with tween and teenage Latin American girls.

Neil Gaiman's Stardust has Sky Pirates, but not very swoon-worthy ones. Basically, I want an 80s or 90s pop culture inspiration for a character like Order of the Stick's Julio Scoundrel.

Even if the original character didn't have an airship, if he otherwise fits, it would probably be fine to just stick him on one. After all, no one would think twice if He-Man or She-Ra fought sky pirates in one episode.

What about Zorro? Is he known in South America? Have any adaptations been popular there?

Or Errol Flynn -esque pirates, the waterborne kind?

The mental image I have of the character is something like a tall, muscular man with a mass of curly dark hair and either clean-shaven or maybe with a tasteful mustache, as well as a billowing shirt that is open half-way down to the stomach, exposing a very hairy chest. He calls himself 'Don Something-or-the-Other' and wields a rapier in a very acrobatic combat style, but doesn't hesitate to brutally batter opponents in the clinch. Treats noble opponents with honour and elaborate, if mocking, courtesy, but will absolutely murder any number of nameless enemy soldiers, from ambush or otherwise, without worrying about the niceties of honour, at least when fighting the lower classes.

I guess the way to describe it in terms of modern pop culture would be a macho Jack Sparrow, i.e. if he looked like the hero of a Latin telenovela rather than a transvestite Keith Richards.

What say the denizens?

Anyone lived in South America back in the day? Or now?

Know someone who did?

Last edited by Icelander; 02-01-2019 at 04:50 AM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote