View Single Post
Old 07-01-2019, 09:41 AM   #2
Skarg

Default Re: Cestus + Brawling + UC

It might seem to, except I think Cestus talent itself would tend to give someone ability to fight with a cestus that I'd expect wouldn't be hugely improved like that by also being a brawler. Since Cestus was designed before Brawling existed, for me it's an open question the GM needs to think about, including whether the resulting damage seems excessive or not. i.e. Should a cestus do more damage than a dagger because the user has brawling? I would tend to think not, from both a realism and balance point of view, as well as a game design one (i.e. it makes Brawling a talent that you're kind of lame if you don't take because it's so cheap and good).

There's also the question of how much damage a cestus even does outside of HTH. It has been interpreted by players as either doing ST +3, or main gauche damage (1d-1, but possible to attack twice at -3).

Brawling as written does bring up balance questions. 1 point in an IQ 7 talents allows "dirty" unarmed attacks that are 1 point shy of a dagger, as much as IQ 11 Unarmed Combat II?

Also several people seem to be interpreting it as giving +2 damage to say, gargoyle attacks. It seems like a case of giving a new large easy bonus that's not particularly counterbalanced by other things.

Last edited by Skarg; 07-01-2019 at 09:51 AM.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote