View Single Post
Old 05-30-2006, 01:55 PM   #5
Captain-Captain

Default Re: What is a good challenge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artifex
Hey folks, I was wondering about this one of this days, and I thought about bringing some other voices into the discussion...

In D&D we have CR - Challenge Rating - that is a measure of how challenging a creature - or another type of challenge - is for a group of characters. CR takes into account the average ammount of power that a group of characters would have and how difficult it would be to beat it.

My point here is: what makes up a good challenge - what should the point total be - for a NPC/Monster or group of NPCs/Monsters for a 4 150-points GURPS group?
The CR system is pretty lousy. A 4th level bard is supposed to be an even match with a Skeletal Chimera. A boat load of little Cr critters can be utterly ineffective combatants but mathematically produce more xp than a not as massive but still large number of higher CR monsters.

In the end it's nothing more than guesswork done by game designers who have no idea what sort of characters you've got in the game what sort of magic items supplied from supplements written by a different publisher.

You're better off making your own estimates based on your more thorough knowledge re: the PCs.

Point value in GURPS is an approximation. Where GURPS differs from D&D is that GURPS does not try to tell you that monster X is a match for party A.

Your best bet is to keep copies of the PCs with you and play out combat before you go to the game. You can spot any inherent flaws in your combat plan, and eliminate say the +10 DR after noting the max damage of your toughest combatant is 1d+3 or drop that vulnerability to electricity if you have a wizard with a lot of electrical spells.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote