View Single Post
Old 10-07-2019, 03:10 AM   #3
Gnomasz

Default Re: [DF Monsters 4: Dragons] Targeting breath attacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Is there a reason the dragon cannot turn it's head and breathe on it's own hexs?
Without 360 Vision, it cannot face it's own hexes.
To be fair, I think it's more a criticism than a question, that the book neither specifies attack roll, nor specifically says "it's an exception, don't roll", while taking quite some word count to say that no breath ever has a cooldown, for example.

Quote:
Did you read the very next sentence on B414 talking about scatter? Also the long paragraphs on 413 Area And Spreading Attacks that speak specifically about cones? A cone is an area attack, therefore it gets the +4 for targeting an area.
Yes, I've read them.
1. Being able to scatter doesn't affect how it's aimed/targeted, just what happens when you miss. (And strangely, if the dragon misses and rolls a 4 for scatter, it breaths it's cone directly behind, I guess).
2. By RAW, there are two different area attacks: round shaped "area-effect", and "cones". The "Attacking an Area" table only specifies "area-effect" (and explosions), without "cones", and not "all area attacks".
By rules as intended, I'm lost. I understood Kromm's forum quote as "you really can't get the +4, target the creature you want to attack", but the wording in Monsters 4 seems not to care. Question is: is it an overall interpretation, or "it's DF and those are dragons" interpretation.