View Single Post
Old 07-19-2019, 09:01 AM   #5
thorr-kan

Default Re: The "B" Campaign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
If you trust your players, you can have their help in making your game world as you go.

On the other hand, we've played with people who have had their specific world and game and they were sticking to their plot no matter what! It didn't work out well for them. We're a friendly group, but, it's a lot like herding childre--CATS! Or "the avalanche has already started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote."
This is true.

But there are also groups that say, "Railroad us. We too old, and we don't have time to putter around." My Friday night group is like that. We get maybe 2-3 hours, every two weeks. 50 has hit everybody or is barreling down like a freight train. We just don't have time.

This applies to my Al-Qadim campaign, which is generally the only campaign we revisit. I'm running the AQ 2E modules with little or no modification.

Other campaigns, run by other DMs, are one-shots. They vary in system and are much more sandbox-y. Some have gone completely off the rails, and we're all usually OK with that, though we try to build PCs with some connection to the intended plot so the DM has some agency.
thorr-kan is offline   Reply With Quote