View Single Post
Old 07-18-2019, 11:14 PM   #22
JLV

Default Re: IQ to power spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plambeck View Post
Thanks much for that JLV, I'm sure I'd have enjoyed yours as well! My group built up quite a world, a single large continent, with hundreds of years of back story, languages, religions, politics, house rules and history over the 2 decades we played. I'm sure we'd never had stopped if it wasn't for the tragic and untimely real death of our founding member and primary GM. I GM'd too, but didn't have the heart to keep going after that. Now this revival has put the bug in me to start a new group, and I know some young guys that might give it a try. They do play D&D, but I fear they won't really go in as much for the tactical aspects of TFT, whereas I wouldn't really want to play without the more structured combat.
Sorry to hear that -- and it was just awesome that you guys kept it going for 20 years! Our campaign folded after a couple of years because we were playing in college and everyone moved on...graduated, got married, joined the military, got a job in another city, etc. I'd love to get the old group together again, but it will almost certainly never happen now. Too bad to -- they were the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plambeck View Post
"Long-range artillery" indeed! Of course the other solution isn't to weaken the wizards, it just takes putting a cap on the (M) spells. Expected that with the Legacy Edition, but I've found an inconsistency where a 3 (or was it 5?) dice cap is now placed on Magic Fist and Fireball, but then not even mentioned under the Lightening and W. Wrath spells? I'm guessing that's just an editorial oversight.
Yeah, of course, we were playing with the classic rules, but chose this way of limiting the Wizards a bit instead because no one wanted to mess with the spells themselves that way. Besides, it's really AWESOME when a ten die Magic Fist hits a bad guy!!!! ;-)

My assumption matches yours -- the limits are on ALL missile spells, not just the two where it is named. However, that little discrepancy should give the "rules lawyers" an absolute field day! (I also don't really agree with that limitation personally, but that's neither here nor there...I suppose it was felt to be necessary once the Staff officially could become a mana resource. We had staffs that could store mana too, and never found it necessary, but hey, we weren't "the official rules guys" either.)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote