View Single Post
Old 01-10-2011, 07:33 AM   #3
Nymdok

Default Re: 1e Tomb of Horrors Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Can you outline the differences between the original ToH and the revised one? How useful will your conversion be, if I only have the revised one available?
The new one is set to a slightly lower 'Level' (9 as oppsoed to 10-14). There also appears to be more Saves versus the 'instant death' that is often found in the 1e adventure.

If all you have is the revised edition, and you understand the mechanics of that version, its a simple matter to convert using the same techniques Ive used. Its really just a matter of mapping the Damage from D&D to the Damage in GURPS. The same is true for the 'saving throws'.

Note that I didnt come up with those percentages casually. I figured what the expectation value would be for chars of a certain level and what the damage expectation would be for a given trap. Using that percentage I mapped it to 2xHP under the assumption that at -1 HP most people are largely out of the fight.

Similarly, I took the saving thorws for one of each class (F, T, MU, C) and averaged those together. Then I mapped that to a 3d6 probability and I allow the GM to decide what that success roll should be. For example, should a spring trap be a Roll vs Dodge or Per to avoid? I map the difficulty at 60% success, which is an 11 or less, and let the GM decide which is more suitable, and apply the modifiers from there.

For the record, if someone was familiar enough with the mechanics used in the revised version, Id LOVE to see a conversion done with that system and compare them. 1e books are all Ive got though :)

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote