View Single Post
Old 03-03-2019, 12:10 PM   #1
martinl

Default Disads: the Second Best CP Deal in GURPS

This took me longer to realize than it should have. My gut feeling is that disads, on average, are fairly priced compared to advantages and stats, but this is clearly wrong, for the following reason:

Almost everyone buys disads up to the limit.

(And every exception I am aware of was built by someone unfamiliar with GURPS character creation. Combat Reflexes, IQ, and DX are obvious point crocks to GURPS veterans, but they are not bought as often as the disad limit is hit. )

Why is this though? My gut is clearly wrong. After some noodling around, I have thought of the following:

1. Focus - folks often assign disads to areas that are not the focus of their character, and use the points they gain to be better at that focus. The stereotypical combat munchkin with -8 to reactions is the canonical example, but this is just generally common in many PC concepts. It is also the reason disad limits are so common - without them that PC would have -25 reactions but be able to kill everyone who looked at her funny because of it.

1.a. Externalities - one of the worst variants of this is disads that hurt the group, not the PC. "Enemy, very powerful, all the time," is the 4e example now that Jinxed has been mercy killed. I generally try to prevent this from happening, since the other players usually find it obnoxious, but it may be hard to spot before it happens. Mr. -8 reactions often thinks it is his duty to do all the talking because he is the strongest fighter, for some reason.

2. Definition (Character) - Some character concepts call for stuff that is an obvious weakness. A one eyed pirate, an honorable knight, or a scatterbrained wizard are all fun stereotypes, and disadvantages give your PC a little game mechanical cookie for playing a PC with a weakness.

3. Definition (Campaign) - Disads are also a tool that can be used to enforce campaign themes or rules. Inter PC loyalty, or duty to a specific NPC, or even "You are all guttersnipes with Status -2, Youth, and Wealth -2" are all things that give an in game reward for following the game guidelines.

What are your folks' thoughts on the matter?
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote