View Single Post
Old 03-21-2018, 08:08 AM   #5
TheAmishStig

Default Re: Opinions wanted: Arena Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephrey View Post
Those are the outer dimensions? You could go with the 24x24 and add some garages and pits and back-of-house stuff along the edges. 1. to shrink down the playable area to what you think is appropriate and 2. to give the option for some RPG stuff in the future.

Would doing that work?
Those are the dimensions of the arena floor itself...and I love it! Hadn't considered that, it's a good way to do an end-run on the fixed "block" sizes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chernobyl View Post
18x18 is pretty small, IMHO. that's about 1/3 of a single map arena.
That's what I was thinking...18x18 felt way too small, and the fear was that 24x24 would end up being too big. I like to keep 'First impression' convention games fairly intense, to where they're either dogfighting to line up a good shot or the bullets are flying; ambling around idly leads to bored players, and bored players doesn't lead to sold copies and a larger player base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
I'd go with 24". The larger size gives you more options for interesting features.

For comparison, Aladdin's Castle is 21" square (right in-between) and it's a pretty tight area to maneuver through.
Wasn't aware of Aladdin's Castle, but that makes a perfect point of comparison. Playtesting with 24" it is, and if it does end up being too big I've got josephrey's idea to fall back on. Thank you all!
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote