View Single Post
Old 07-06-2018, 09:23 AM   #77
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Bring on Hall of Judgment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldo View Post
http://tenfootpole.org/ironspike/?p=4052

I'm curious, do the changes/expansions/revisions in Hall of Judgement include the points raised by Bryce in the above review?
Hrm. How to address this. I will go back and re-read the review, and look at the parts that were concrete, not based on a particular preferred play style, and actionable.

In broadening the adventure to a more sandbox style, some points were addressed:

1. There no time limit on the adventure; the journey is a big part of it. So the GM doesn't need a magic teleporter to skip what would be hours of "wasted time" in a 2-4 hour convention game or a one-shot

2. There's no need for a plot device to get the players pointed in the right direction or make them uniquely suited to the mission, so the importance of the tiwstakn is much more muted (though it still plays a role).

3. There's 20 pages of "town" to introduce the players to the local culture (if they care; this is the DFRPG after all) and let them explore the culture and style of the area. That takes the place of the introduction, which served the same purpose. This also is a test to see if DFRPG players are *interested* in more "town" type stuff with more flavor. Backer response suggests "yes."

4. The inclusion of much more specific maps of the local area and (again) the lack of a time limit means that encounters are no longer floating (though some move, because monsters move), and there are more concrete anchors to both journey and destination.

5. The more-specific and larger-area maps allow much more freedom for the players to choose their path. Some paths are more difficult than others.

6. The adventure has evolved beyond it's original purpose as a vehicle to demonstrate Dungeon Grappling, so "you fight three to five battles with grappling monsters in a 2-4 hour one-shot setting" is less front and center.

In closing, yes, some of the points Bryce made have probably been addressed. I took a lot of feedback in addition to this review in the year since the adventure was published, including others not quite so admittedly biased against 5e (good on Bryce: he admits his prejudice right in his opening line).
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote