View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #62
Jerander

Default Re: GURPS Releases seem to be slow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
There are no mysteries surrounding GURPS After the End: e23 has significant autonomy in what it plans and executes. The sales success of GURPS Action, GURPS Dungeon Fantasy, and GURPS Monster Hunters allowed e23 to convince the Managing Editor to approve the series. However, Steve is the Editor in Chief – that's a big step up the org chart from Managing Editor – and has the final say on what we publish. He has an interest in post-apoc fiction, so his approval depends on being convinced that the series would not interfere with his desire to see GURPS Survivors one of these days (that isn't the same as him saying that he wants to write that book, please note!). If nothing else, he needs to find time to read the material and discuss the title, which is a low priority given everything else on his plate.

Such is life . . . sometimes, we leak the title of something that looks like it's almost a sure thing, only to run into a problem with the contract, or legal concerns, or simply an approval hitch (as here). After the End remains on my weekly report; it isn't marked "Dead" in our database or anything dire like that. Like GURPS Vehicle Design, it's something that we probably shouldn't have mentioned so early, but we're not perfect.

The concern about supporting four worked genre examples instead of three is a much, much smaller one. Publishing After the End wouldn't necessarily take anything away from Action, Dungeon Fantasy, or Monster Hunters, or make some as-yet-unnamed genre series impossible. Not publishing it wouldn't guarantee more support for the three published series, or improve the odds of some unnamed series seing the light of day. When I mentioned the matter of how many such series we could support, it was in the context of the day, week, month, and quarter when we discussed the issue, not "for all time."
Once again, thank you for sharing this. It helps to hear what's going on on the inside of things.

GURPS After The End is one of the titles I've been most excited about in recent (since the switch to GURPS 4e) memory. Since the "supporting four worked genres" issue seems minor, here's to hoping that Mr. Jackson decides it won't interfere with GURPS Survivors. After all, if my recollection is correct (I didn't have time to look for the reference last night...), it'd be sad that a currently written project doesn't move ahead in favor of one that has been on the table for 20+ years...
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote