View Single Post
Old 07-30-2017, 11:40 AM   #36
Refplace

Default Re: High Magic Spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTimmy View Post
Is the FAQ (with the luck info) published anywhere? Would a kind person please provide the link?

If you want to skip a few steps, my ultimate goal is to -somehow- have a flying ship. I thought the best way to do it is by enchantment. It looks like the best way to do it is to go "Wealth" and BUY it off an npc enchanter. Not a satisfactory answer (to me).
The Official FAQ is here though a quick review did not seem to address this question. The Unofficial FAQ is as noted in this forum, near the top its one of the stickies threads.

Your impression is correct. The default magic system is not really designed for PC enchanters to make major items. And lets face it Flying ships are major items.
GURPS Thaumatology and various Pyramid articles see my thread in the Pyramid forum has additional material. In particular Material Magic is relevant.
GURPS magic is designed to allow reasonably common spell casting but only minor items. A lot of magic items and major area castings would ruin any credible midevel campaign.
Just as Technology reshaped the world so would a lot of magic.
Other magic systems aim for different goals, play styles or power levels.
Powers as magic is probably the best fit for making your own Flying Ship.
However any method to procure a Flying Ship will be expensive because it should be in most settings.
If it were cheap and easy to do then there would be a lot of them after all.
A setting where that is desired is easy just call it TL 4+5 to make them as common as airplanes or 4+6^ or so if you want them as common as cars.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote