View Single Post
Old 06-08-2017, 11:28 AM   #34
baakyocalder

Default Re: Combining GURPS and Hackmaster combat system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhd View Post
5E even has the actual Knights demonstrating the combat system in comic form (which, by the way, is one of the best play examples I've ever seen). And yes, Gary Jackson and groin stomps (they ditched "gawds", though).

But to me, that seems just allusions to its backstory (both fictional and real), I don't see any system component as a straight-forward parody.

Then again, I'm German. That humor thing is still strange and new to me.
The HackMaster edition which had a lot of parody elements was all in softcover (except Goods and Gear) and used AD&D 2e under license. Using the parody was part of the license requirement, but that version of HackMaster is basically a heavily house-ruled AD&D 2e.

The current version of HackMaster was built from the ground-up and while there are some jokes in there, there are not joke rules. The rules were extensively playtested in open playtests--6 months for the Player's Handbook. The rules aren't GURPS, but they are closer to GURPS since it's opposed attack and defense rules with a lot of tactical options if you use the PHB. HackMaster Basic Free is analogous to GURPS Lite--it will let you do most of what the full game does at zero monetary outlay to you but doesn't have as many dials to play with.

Here's the official history of HackMaster to clear up misconceptions.

http://www.kenzerco.com/hackmaster/p...er_history.pdf

Waiting For: Schedule Sanity to Play Car Wars and my Fnordcon special alt Car Wars cards!
baakyocalder is offline   Reply With Quote