View Single Post
Old 09-15-2020, 12:02 AM   #94
trooper6

Default Re: Has COVID hit your gaming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
I can see how that isn't newbie friendly. But then, I also haven't found a roleplaying system that is without being overly simplistic. Still, I totally get where you are coming from now.
I think what is frustrating for me is that I have had a lot of success introducing newbies to GURPS and making GURPS not feel too complicated. And I want to introduce more people to GURPS. I want more be able to stream it in a way that will look enticing to people who have never seen it before. I want GURPS to do better. Shadowrun and Cyberpunk which are also crunchier games have hit #5 in sales recently. If they can be successful, GURPS can, too.

Whenever I mention GURPS I often get people saying: "Oh GURPS? That is that game that is super complicated, right? The one where you have to do square roots to play it? The one that that isn't even really an RPG, right? It is just a toolkit not even a real RPG?" And they have never even played it. They don't really know anything about it. They've just heard that ti was too complicated and should be avoided. But GURPS is not that complicated. It is not more complicated that a number of games that people are playing right now. I want to show them that GURPS is a fun game that does some very cool things. That it is not as byzantine as people have heard in the stereotype....and if we are doing this online rather than in person, I need VTT support that is on par with its contemporaries like Call of Cthulhu or Runequest and I need it not be a hinderance in getting more people into GURPS. I mean, more people play Das Schwarze Auge on Roll20 that people play GURPS on Roll20
...more people play AD&D 1e on Roll20 than play GURPS. It is hard to do bring in new people with the support we currently have. And I want to bring in new people. I have some cool ideas for streams...but...I need the situation to be better to I can be most successful and bringing in new people.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote