View Single Post
Old 07-12-2020, 03:05 PM   #29
JohnPaulB

Default Re: Spending Experience Points

A 32 attribute point character (say ST10, DX11, IQ11) has 11 points worth of talents.
Lets say the player is looking for a Ranger type (ITL p 13).
Now lets say that I’m not looking for Tarzan or Indiana Jones with Stats in the teens.
I would like to play a slightly above attribute beginning hero and I want them to have their appropriate talents as suggested in Ranger type.

Now if that character wanted to invest in Talents at 500XP a whack (or double that for more expensive talents), then he would be vastly inferior to his brethren party members who are bouncing up the attribute path. They are at 35 Attributes when he still hasn’t bought one thing.

Sure you say, well he too should be buying Attributes first. But if you want to run a low attribute character, you are stuck.

I propose a slight change to the following line in
Learning New Spells and Talents (ITL p 45) which says
Each new spell or talent learned costs 500XP – or 1,000 for talents marked (2) in the listing, and so on. As when your character was created, spells cost triple for a non-wizard, and talents cost double for a wizard.

The new line would say
At 34th or lower Attributes:
Each new talent learned costs 250XP – or 500 for talents marked (2) in the listing, and so on. As when your character was created, spells cost triple for a non-wizard, and talents cost double for a wizard.
At 35th or higher Attributes: Revert to original XP costs for talents.

THIS IS BASICALLY MAKING TALENTS COST HALF IF BELOW ATTRIBUTES 35.

[Note: I have not included spells in the above change because I haven’t evaluated how that would affect things.]

With the above alteration, the Ranger would be able to show some gains comparable to his Attribute Hungry mates, but still keep his slightly superior generic character stats.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote