Old 07-24-2019, 03:17 AM   #43
MikMod

Default Re: New Pole Weapon Rules

From the original Advanced Melee combat options (p3):
1. Stand still, or move one hex and
a. Attack with your ready weapon

2. Move up to half your MA and
a. Charge attack

To me it's pretty clear that in the original rules, which I played for years, you can move one hex up to someone and hit them and NOT be charging. You chose option 1a. If however, you feel like throwing yourself at someone hard (maybe you are a spear user) then you chose option 2a.

I don't see how that is anything but completely clear. I also don't see anything on p12 which contradicts that. Remember, if the person is one hex away, then the pole user has already had an opportunity to attack them - that's the pole weapon advantage - either they have to loiter about at 2 hex range, and you can jab them 'for free', or they move more than one hex up to you and therefore they are charging and you get bonuses.

This original set of rules can make it very hard to deal with a poleuser. You can move right up to them in one round, but then you have to deal with them receiving charge with +2 dx and double damage. Or you can stop short at one hex range. In this situation the pole user holds a lot of cards. They could charge you if they like for double damage and first hit. They could retreat one hex in a fabulously annoying manner putting you no closer to dealing with them. Or third, they could jab you and then, if they win initiative, they can still move back one hex giving them a free hit and leaving you doubly frustrated!

In short, the original rules mean you cannot get past the point of a spear without extreme difficulty. They always get at least one chance to hit you first.

Last edited by MikMod; 07-24-2019 at 04:51 AM.
MikMod is offline   Reply With Quote