View Single Post
Old 08-30-2018, 06:39 PM   #78
Tenex

Default Re: The Woodsman Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles G. View Post
Your extensive reply.
Without belaboring the point, I think people seriously underestimate what a peasant knew about living with the land and the seasons. However, I concede that the peasant would not know about a variety of environments.

I think you've got some good points there. As I think about it I find that I'm not as committed to a Woodsman 2 as I thought, but it would require a lot of clarification of the basic Woodsman talent. I think some of the skills I noted in my post #46 need to be addressed, although those could come in a basic Woodsman talent or a reworked Naturalist.

For clarification, my point about city-dwellers was only regarding firemaking. They are all going to know how to gather dry wood, identify suitable tinder of various types and use a flint & steel. They'll know how to coax a fire to life from a coal, the difference in how various species of wood burn by heat and speed, the uses of dry wood vs. green wood and how to identify a half dozen types of local wood. Everyone in that society used fire on a near-daily basis, city dweller or not.

Part of my problem with the talent is the ambiguity of the skills. It says skilled in living off the land without rations and camping equipment. That's different from "naked into the wilderness". That could be interpreted as meaning a Woodsman needs some basic tools like a knife, flint or more. Those are two different levels of skill or at least an added die to an attempt to do something.

Last edited by Tenex; 08-31-2018 at 07:59 AM.
Tenex is offline   Reply With Quote