View Single Post
Old 08-29-2018, 05:21 PM   #74
JohnPaulB

Default Re: The Woodsman Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenex View Post
You know, another problem with the Woodsman talent, as written, is the overlap with common life skills in a peasant/medieval/fantasy setting. A peasant in the Middle Ages would have known a lot more about gathering edible plants, constructing a waterproof shelter and starting a fire with primitive methods than the common man today.

I think a lot of modern readers look at the Woodsman skill and think "oh cool". But some/many of the abilities aren't really beyond what a common average IQ 9 peasant should have had back then.

All I'm arguing for here is some useful abilities to be defined in the skill so it isn't so ambiguous.
Woodsman Talent is IQ=11. Average Joe Peasant is probably IQ=10 or 9. Sure they may know some of the things mentioned. And as a generic activity, they probably wouldn't need to worry about rolling when it is within 5 miles of their home. (I would grant them that.)

However, this is a skill that can be used in the woods, mountains, desert... most any domain. (I would grant them finding stuff under normal situations, but only when it is important would I have the Woodsman roll on this skill.)

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is online now   Reply With Quote