View Single Post
Old 08-26-2018, 11:30 AM   #75
Terquem

Default Re: Staff, mana, stored ST

I've been thinking about the staffs as batteries concept. I apologize if some of my thoughts have already been expressed by others, but I feel the existence of strength batteries has a potential to push the game into a "not fun" zone.

I will probably use these house rules

1) No staff/wand/rod can be a "strength battery" with a strength reserve greater than the strength of the wizard that created it (even assuming "group" efforts to create such items - and strength batteries greater than 15 are practically unheard of)

2) A character that tries to pick up a "strength battery" with a strength greater than theirs (item fixed strength versus character un-adjusted strength, not current battery strength charge or character current strength score) must roll under IQ on 4d or their hand is burned and they lose 1 strength. They will automatically lose another strength and be burned again on any attempt to pick up the battery for the next 24 hours. After 24 hours have passed, the character can try to pick up the battery again, on another 4d IQ roll. Once the roll is beat the character can always handle that battery.
Terquem is offline   Reply With Quote