View Single Post
Old 08-24-2018, 09:47 AM   #46
zot

Default Re: Future support for TFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
TFT is awesome for CoC sorts of scenarios. Which includes most of the R.E. Howard Conan stories, so there are good models out there for swords and sandals versions of the same thing.
I'd argue that original TFT is not awesome for CoC scenarios, especially compared to modern games like Fate, which handles discouragement, phobias, social stigma, and physical wounds in a qualitative way (not with just a point total), all using the same, simple mechanic. Here are some of the problems that interfere with using TFT for horror and intrigue (I suggested fixes for most of these over the past few months):
  1. The conflict rules only handle physical violence
  2. IQ is used as a representation for courage, which it shouldn't be (save vs IQ to resist fear from a ghost)
  3. IQ is used as a representation for social ability, which it shouldn't be
  4. Social mechanics are too simplistic, being entirely limited to reaction rolls
  5. There are no rules for contests, social or otherwise
  6. There is no way to represent lasting impairment (physical, social, psychological, or otherwise, like scars, maiming, phobias, social stigma)

Compare TFT's rules used in combat to rules that are used elsewhere to see where the heart of original TFT is. It has a ton of rules support for hack and slash and not much else. There are some skill rolls that can come up but there are no rules for any type of struggle except physical violence.

The net effect of this is that most of your character sheet is devoted to combat and physical things, like detecting traps, climbing, moving silently, etc. Almost all social talents only affect reaction rolls.

So game play has two strict modes: "physical" mode and "role playing" mode. Social rules are limited to reaction rolls, so "role playing" mode might start with the GM rolling a d6. Other than that, social struggles are left entirely up to the GM -- there's no "game" rules for it.

By contrast, systems like Fate have deep support for social conflicts (and other types of conflict, too). CoC has SAN points and phobias but systems like Fate operate on an entirely different plane from CoC.

I'm seriously hoping the new version will overhaul most of these problems but I didn't sense a lot of concern about them so I'm not betting too much on it.

If not, I'm hoping it will at least have 2-of-3 contest rules like I advocate in my contests document.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote