View Single Post
Old 08-24-2018, 08:41 AM   #43
larsdangly

Default Re: Future support for TFT

People do get confused as to how they are supposed to translate their play habits from games where PC's are invincible and murder 50 people a night to one where any competitive fight is seriously dangerous to you. And honestly the 'core' adventures (Deathtest I, II and Tolenkar's Lair) perpetuate this issue because they are fundamentally multi-fight dungeon crawls. Fun, but quite challenging unless you approach them with over powered parties.

I believe TFT really sings as a campaign roleplaying game when the sessions are more like a 'sandbox' version of the Three Musketeers, Elric of Melnibone or Fellowship of the Ring (if you can deal with the fact that D'Artagnion, Moonglum and Aragorn all have a ~1 in 10 or worse chance of getting killed in any serious combat). Characters interacting with each other, exploring, getting caught up in all kinds of crazy japes, and having one or two or three dramatic, dicey fights per night - that is the sort of TFT adventure that works. Contemplating your 7th fight of the night with another gooey monster is not a great model; for that, you should just play D+D. My hope is that the slate of setting materials and adventures people are working on is made with an understanding of this.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote