View Single Post
Old 06-26-2018, 01:44 PM   #23
JLV

Default Re: Staff, mana, stored ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Steve's idea of PCs needing to spend XP to improve their understanding op the Staff spell such that they can store mana in their staff is a great way to provide alternatives to buying up ST and keeping point balance with other characters. It is pretty simple (a hallmark of TFT) to understand and to implement, and has a certain consistency with using XP to improve your character. I think some of the several ideas discussed in this thread could quickly make wizards too powerful against mundane threats. Other ideas are intriguing, but I'm not sure that they are any better than Steve's.
THIS. In fact, the Wizard who spends his XP to build up his staff is making a decision to forego personal advancement for a less useful form of ST (it can only be used for one thing, doesn't absorb hits, and doesn't allow the Wizard to bend iron bars). So balancing isn't quite as off-kilter as people just looking at the Staff in isolation are assuming. In effect, it's a trade-off, just like so many other things in the game. I think it will be just fine.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote