Thread: Talent System
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2018, 06:06 PM   #15
Rick_Smith

Default Learning and Forgetting Talents --> Revise?

Hi all,
This section of the rules, I believe, can use some revision.

-- How long does it take to learn talents? If you pick up a study on Tuesday morning, can you learn the talent Tuesday afternoon? (I think a 'realistic' amount of time is 3 months times the memory cost of the talent. So if you want to learn Running (2), then it would cost 6 months. However, many GM's and almost all players prefer that PC's can pick up talents faster. 1 month of study per mIQ could work.)

-- Penalty for dropping a study. In ITL page 16, 2nd column, paragraph 9, it says, that if you wish to drop a study, it costs you 1,000 experience points or 1/2 of the experience needed to go up an attribute, WHICH EVER IS MORE! Is there ANY TFT game masters who actually used this rule??? Picking the wrong study is a mistake most commonly made by new players. So this rule will brutally punish new players. I you want to have some penalty for dropping studies, I suggest that the GM EITHER: (1) says that no new study can replace the abandoned one for 2 game months, OR (2) give a flat 1/5th of an attribute's worth of experience penalty if the GM does not want to keep track of things for 2 game months.

-- Forgetting Talents. These rules are on page 9, but they would be easier to find if they were on page 16. (So put how to learn and forget talents and spells together.).

-- Forgetting Spells. The rules for this are on page 9 of ITL, not in advanced wizard. Either put these together, or at least have a cross reference.

-- Forgetting spells (and talents) with Wishes. Somewhere in the rules, (I think, can't find it now), it says you can use a wish to instantly forget a talent. However, this is not in the 'how to forget' section of the rules, or in the 'wish powers' section. Better organization please.

Comments are welcome.
Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote