View Single Post
Old 10-22-2016, 10:22 AM   #1392
tshiggins

Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Larson View Post
I picture an old man who after a severe stroke is not really lucid and barely mobile, in an old-folks home muttering, "Suitcase. Green suitcase." The caregivers mention it to his children when they visit, and they remember a green suitcase their father used to carry samples in, back when he was a salesman. Wonder what happened to that old thing?
Makes you wonder what was going on, around there, that would make someone want to hoard money, like that, rather than put it in a bank.

The Korean War was in full swing, and nuclear testing had begun. The 22nd Amendment got ratified, in February and the Rosenberg Trial was nearing its end, which triggered the Second Red Scare.

My guess, though, is that the person was an elderly man or woman who endured the Great Depression, and had no trust for banks. So, he or she spent decades stashing away money every week, in case the bad times ever returned. However, because the United States after WWII enjoyed one of the longest economic booms in history, there was never any need to spend the stash.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote