View Single Post
Old 01-15-2018, 12:26 PM   #310
Rick_Smith

Default Cost of shields.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
My exposure to such things is somewhat limited, but I can say two things of relevance here, both based on a very small slice of medieval life (vikings in 700-1000AD).
As you can see, all of this is very labor intensive, so I believe it when the price lists show the equivalence between shields and swords.

Medieval pricing isn't my area of expertise, but the shield sword thing is something I've run into before, so I thought I'd share.
Hi Douglas, thanks for the info!

I talked about building a roman shield in my reply to larsdangl, and pointed out that it was a lot of work. I'm tempted to go into my TFT weapon tables and up the price of normal shields and make a much cheaper version what masses a couple of extra kg. The durablity of these cheaper shields would be lower as well.

(Digression: I eventually decided that at the start of the new year all my players have a grand ceremonial shield burning celebration. Then we don't have to track damage on the damn things and still get across the idea that shields wear out. The new cheap and heavier shields could have a grand shield burning at the new year and midsummer.) ;-)

The high prices for armor and shields makes me think that when it came to self-protection, fighters in those days would pay for the best.

Warm regards, Rick.

Last edited by Rick_Smith; 01-15-2018 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Better word choice.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote