View Single Post
Old 05-24-2010, 04:40 AM   #20
Maz

Default Re: [MA] What's the virtue of using spears with Staff skill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtmoore View Post
Thank you for your tireless pursuit of precision, but I'm talking about what, from the perk's actual use in the MA book, appears to be the intent of the perk more than what the wording of the perk says. Essentially, as near as I can tell, there's no point using the perk for anything other than the fencing skills. Or maybe for using Staff with heavy, unbalanced polearms.
Well you started emplying (intentional or not) that me wanting to use spears/polearms with staff was: "most unlikely examples are not only cinematic, but silly".
I had to correct you as those words are ONLY used for weapons on the other side of -4.

You are reading "it's intended use" from an example and dismissing the rest of the text. If the onyl intention with the skill was to allow to use none-fencing weapons with fencing skill then it wouldn't make sense to include several lines about how it would work with other weapons (silly or not).
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtmoore View Post
Note that without the WA perk, you can't use Spear to make a thrusting attack with a quarterstaff, even though you can use Staff to make a blunt attack with a spear.
This is not in the rules. True, Staffs are not listed under Spear, but then, neither are Spear listed under staff. you can't just assume one can be used without also assuming it works the other way around.

Last edited by Maz; 05-24-2010 at 04:45 AM.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote