View Single Post
Old 08-22-2019, 05:04 PM   #3
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Custom talent balancing advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
And are you allowing the Gunslinging Perks from GURPS Gun Fu (specifically I'm eyeballing the Quick Reload perk)? If you aren't, check it out and determine if 5% per level is enough (for reference Quick Reload shaves 25%/lvl off of reloading times, to a maximum reduction of 3 sec to reload a Musket).
This question also comes with the implicit question of: How many times do you want an adventuring Musketeer to be able to fire his musket during any given combat?

If your answer is "once", then I'd chose a different Alternate Ability for the Musketeer as it is pointless*. If your answer is "more than once" then you need to beef that Alt Ability up a bit.

* Pointless for an adventurer when most combats are over in 10 rounds. Great for ranks of Musketeers or skirmishing Musketeers who can get one additional volley off every full minute of warfare.

Sidenote: Something I did for a Musketeer I had in a DFesque game I ran a few years back was to give him a Fast Reload Technique and allow him to make an Armoury (Musket) Skill roll every round he was reloading. I speed up the process based on his Margin of Success on the roll, up to "each Ready Maneuver counting as 10 seconds for reloading". So he could 'speed-load' his .45 Matchlock in 6 seconds if he rolled fantastically (it generally took 10 or so seconds, 60 seconds total regularly), but as he had matching bore pistols which reloaded at half the time, he preferred those and could reload one of them in 4-5 seconds on average (he carried three and generally switched to sword for most fights once he'd emptied them).

My Fast Reload rules in a nutshell:

You may attempt to fast reload during a Ready Maneuver. Failure wastes not only that maneuver, but extra costs extra seconds based on your Margin of Failure. Your MoS is subtracted from the total time needed to reload your firearm (MoF is added), up to an MoS (MoF) of -10 (+10) per Ready Maneuver.

Fast Reloading
Average
Default: Armoury (Musket) -5.
Prerequisite: Armoury (Musket); cannot exceed prerequisite skill+5.
You've practiced reloading your firearm and can often do so faster than normal. If you have improved this technique up to the level of your skill, you may treat every load done with a normal reload time as a 'matched' load, doubling your ACC or reducing Malf by one step. If you further double your reloading time, you gain both benefits.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote