View Single Post
Old 11-25-2016, 12:17 PM   #110
tshiggins

Default Re: [Game] Work Up a Steampunk Setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Cat View Post

(SNIP)

Lydia Watford's results
I had to do several conversions to figure out how much money Lydia has in GURPS dollars. Using the Historical Currency Converter online calculator, I determined that 1 British Pound (1911) is worth 114.43 USD(2016). Converting this figure to 2004 dollars, I get that 1 British Pound (1911) is worth about 89.42 USD(2004). To keep things simple, I'll use an exchange rate of 1 British Pound (1911) per 90 GURPS dollars. I'm going to assume that Lydia has 4 million British Pounds to spend on this project.

(SNIP)
Whoops, my ticket prices for passage on the Himalaya Clipper are off by an order of magnitude. I was assuming inflation had devalued modern currency to a tenth of its value about a century ago (and a universe apart), and not a hundredth.

I've changed the prices by dropping a zero off the end, and then I doubled that. That still makes them very expensive, but not stupidly so. That means a single First Class tickets costs 2-3 months pay for a middle-class clerk or tradesman, and that's what I was eyeballing.

Thanks for figuring this out. It really helps, a lot!

Last edited by tshiggins; 11-25-2016 at 12:22 PM.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote