View Single Post
Old 08-05-2010, 07:39 AM   #17
Jeminai

Default Re: Breaking down High Pain Threshold

I had an issue with this as well, especially when I had a character want to purchase this advantage during play. I just could not see him having no benefits from HPT today and having them all tomorrow. (It was not a good time for down time either)

First thing I did was I changed the Shock rule penalties to max out at -5 instead of -4. These are exerpts from my house rules:

High Pain Threshold (B 59): This advantage is split into 5 levels for 2 points each. Each level negates 1 point of shock penalty. Levels 1, 3 and 5 impart a cumulative +1 to resist knockdown, stunning (B 420) and physical torture. No more than 5 levels can be purchased.

Shock Penalty (B 419): Maximum penalty is -5 instead of -4

I probably will get a lot of flak for making this change, but it has been working for a while and it represents the gaining of High Pain Threshold as one becomes tougher. Many of my players have opted to start out fighters with Level 1 or 2 and raise it during play as they get hurt and deal with it more and more.

Tell me what you think and let the bashing begin ;)