View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #14
fredtheobviouspseudonym

Default Hirelings with Initiative --

It's quite possible that if the PC's have been in town a while, haven't tried to hide their activities, and have kept returning with cash in pocket that some local lads with a bit of gumption might approach them looking for a job. For variety they might be untrustworthy operators -- willing to inform on/sell out the PCs for a few coins. Or, they might be willing to fake loyalty long enough to rob the PCs once they've earned the latter's trust and are left behind with valuables (including horses, tack, etc.)

Or, if well treated, they might prove loyal unto death. Having them die due to a PC's mistake might be a good drama element.

Quote:
The second I'd describe as an old wiry salt with thin, gray hair and a wide assortment of lanterns, candles and torches packed into every pocket, pouch and belt hook. Pick one. Or, both; it's your money.
Think about Walter Brennan in almost every role he has played. Also, however, a set of small tools -- "Jes lemme at that lock a li'l while . . . I'll have 'er open." "Nasty cut in them breeches, sor; doff 'em a second and I'll have it mended soonest." "Don't try and pull it out, sor -- that's a barbed arrowhead. Now I ain't no barber, but I've taken a few of 'em out in my time -- and the fellers lived thereafter, too."

Last edited by fredtheobviouspseudonym; 04-21-2013 at 08:48 PM.
fredtheobviouspseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote